Tuesday, July 21, 2009

My GGG

When I was a young teenager I lost my father. His death was a shocking experience for my family. I remember thinking that I would never forget him, I would always remember every small detail of his face, hands, his movements and his laugh. My memories and time have betrayed me making me forget certain parts of his being. I wonder why this happens, I wonder why we can forget sometimes things that are a part of our every day lives for so long and then once they are gone we can start to forget little things. I often look at photos and recall the smile lines on his face or the way his forehead crinkled.
Over the years I have never forgotten his smell, the way he walked or his voice. I will catch a hint of his smell (old spice and soap) and will literaly turn to follow it, in a misguided loop to a scent connection that holds my heart. I love to think of him watching me be a mother and how I have become so different and yet so similar to him. I loved my father very much, he will always be in my heart and will be a part of my children's lives. I often talk with my George about his Grandpa George and who he was. I am grateful for the plan of salvation that allows me hope and strength to remind me that there is more then just this life and that I will be with him again.
I love you Dad!

6 comments:

Rob and Juliann said...

Sara, you've left me speechless. He would be SO proud of the woman you have become.

CatherineWO said...

He loved you so much, Sara. I can picture the smile that would be on his face if he were to see you today and the twinkle in his eye for your cute kids.

PRP said...

Beautifully written, Sara. I'm sure he is smiling brightly down on what you've written and who you've become.

Amy said...

Oh Sara, that was so sweet. You made me all teary! I didn't know George was named after your dad.

Heather said...

Beautiful tribute to your dad. He's proud of you, no question.

ks said...

It is so sweet to think of you telling George about Grandpa George. It will be amazing for him to see your kids some day.