Monday, June 22, 2009

Chomp.....Chomp....

Help Advice Needed!

I have a very adorable and fun little two year old. I love to look in his big blue eyes and to imagine what he will become. I love him more then words can express........ however, this handsome little man has turned into a little T-Rex. He chomps down on anything and everyone he can get his teeth on. At first I thought it was just a one time thing, well several bites later, including one on baby Eva's arm, I am thinking this is turning into a nasty habit.
I have been using a firm "No bite" when he does this but it just is not working. So I resorted to putting a little dab of Mexican hot sauce on his tongue. OK, is this horrible? Does this warrant a parental intervention? I am at a loss as to any other way to combat Jack's chompers from hurting anyone else. What do you think?

8 comments:

Heather said...

I haven't had any experience with biting... but if the hot sauce helps go with it. If not, time to move on to something else.

Megan said...

i've never had a biter either. but, if it works after once or twice and then he gets the idea, maybe it's the right thing.

good luck with that one...

Rob and Juliann said...

Wow! Hot sauce! What a great idea! I hope it works. Is he biting out of anger or just to be a t-rex? Ian was spitting for a little while because he wasn't talking very much yet. I hope your hot sauce idea works for you because that is BRILLIANT!

Jennica said...

I recently used hot sauce myself to stop a little habit Carter had, and since nothing else was working, I thought why not? And it worked..the kid has not repeated "The WORD" since a drop or two of tabasco sauce on the tongue. So I'm all for it!

ks said...

The hot sauce does make sense, since it is the same area the "bad" habit is happening. Jacob bites sometimes and doesn't understand that it hurts! He hits and pushes (especially Jonah) too, though fortunately not too hard), and sometimes the only way I can get it through to Jacob that something hurts is to do it to him. I'm always afraid that will set the wrong example but sometimes it is the only thing that works. Good luck!

PRP said...

I use Tobasco whenever my girls say naughty things... think the correlation between what they're doing and what they're punishment is is a good thing.

Keeping my fingers crossed for you...

The Stevens: said...

Gosh, Biting is HORRID! I've had two biters... the biter turned the bitee into a biter:) (The twins:)

This technique worked for me, first don't turn your attention to the biter... check the bitee, give them love. Then discipline the biter, that way they know they aren't getting attention for biting. (It also is a cool off time for you:) Then I always said, "No, Bite", we bite food not people, flicked their mouth (depending on the severity of the bite), put in time out. (after time out show the biter that he/she hurt the person bit)

Good Luck, that's a hard phase!:) You could also give him a chew toy:)

Amy said...

SERIOUSLY... if you figure this out... LET ME KNOW!!! Sean is so horrible with his biting, and I just don't know what to do! We have tried the Tapatio sauce too... nothing seems to work!